Freegle is a new UK-wide umbrella organisation, formed by experienced volunteers and members of the free reuse community.
Most Freegle groups were formerly part of The Freecycle Network. However, progressively since its beginnings, it became evident that Freecycle changed radically under our feet while we were working to continue its success. This created an untenable situation for hundreds of volunteers in the UK. After lengthy and patient negotiations with the founder of The Freecycle Network failed, Freegle was formed.
We are really excited to now be Freegle! All groups within Freegle belong to a truly grassroots movement that values and respects its members and volunteers. And in the process, we continue to keep usable items out of landfill. We are looking forward to welcoming new groups into the Freegle family.
How it works
Freegle is an email list hosted on Yahoo! Groups that allows you to give stuff away when you need to get rid of it but don’t want to throw it in the bin. Or save something from landfill by asking for it; perhaps someone has just what you need that they were about to throw away.
- You have a washing machine you don’t need and may need to take to the tip.
- You join your local Freegle group.
- You post an OFFER on the list, seen by everyone who looks on the site or receives messages in their inbox (members get to choose whether to receive all messages or just view online)
OFFER: washing machine (just off High St)
Old and noisy but working washing machine available.
- Interested members will reply to you privately.
- You choose who you would like to give it to.
- Between you, you arrange for them to come and pick up the washing machine.
- It gets collected.
- You’ve given away your machine with little effort, and you also got to meet someone new from your neighbourhood in the process.
- Someone local to you who needed your unwanted machine can now use it, fix it or use parts for spares.
- It didn’t go into landfill. Great for both you and our planet. Everyone wins!
Likewise, if you need an item you can request one on the list in the same way and if someone has what you’d like they will contact you off-list to offer it.
The group moderators will be happy to help you if you need any advice about any part of the above process.
If you would like to join Gloucester Freegle please follow the link below: